Thursday, December 10, 2009

Perfect Potpourri

I have long been searching for a way to keep the house smelling good. I love the reed diffusers, but they don't work very well in a large area. Candles are great but not with little kids around. I read somewhere that a lot of the plugins can be harmful to little boys' development. (I haven't checked lately to see if that's still true or not though) Anyway, I have finally found something that works and I love the smell! My sister-in-law Lisa gave me the idea and then I expanded upon it. You get an old pot that you don't use anymore. A small-medium sauce pot works well. Fill it half way up with water. Add three cinnamon sticks. Cover the top with allspice. Then add a pinch each of ground ginger and rubbed sage. Bring it to a simmer. Ahhh... It smells so good! Very warm and homey, like you've been baking. You can leave it simmering for as long as you want. Remember to add water occasionally. It takes a few days before you'll need to add more spices. The cinnamon sticks will last longer than that. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment